Thinking About Speaking Freely
Longtime Zuskateers know that one of the reasons I am feel able to speak so freely is that I am not currently employed. Thus, I do not fear an employer’s displeasure with what I might have to say about the sorry state of affairs for women in science and engineering in educational, academic, and workplace settings.
But now and then I do wonder…one of these days I suppose I will be in a position to go back to work. Though I blog as Zuska, my real name is right up there at the top of the page for anyone to see. To re-enter the workforce, I’ll be a position of supplication, and any potential employer can Google my name and see what I’ve been up to. Will I then be sorry about being so outspoken?
So it was encouraging that, as I was browsing through xkcd webcomics late last night (a browse inspired by this post over at Dr. Isis’s place), I came across one that spoke directly to me. It really gave me heart, even if it doesn’t guarantee that anyone will ever want to hire me again. I share it here, for those of you who might be thinking similar thoughts about writing/blogging and being employable. (comic at original site here)
Bunny Rock in Zuska’s Garden
Zuska is the kick-ass alter-ego of Suzanne E Franks. When not dispensing Zuska's wisdom, Suzanne can often be found gardening, reading, or having one of her thrice-weekly migraines.
- rentals on Beach Wheelchair
- Geoffrey on How to Feed 4 On a Food Stamp Budget
- อาการปวดหลัง on Juniorprof’s #painresearchmatters Campaign
- hay day hack ifunbox on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- win mobile games on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- airtemperaturespecialists.com on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- elm327 on PZ, You’ve Seriously Disappointed Me
- hntvzyjs.com on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- John on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- Richard Henderson on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System