Fashion Critic Metes Out Faux-Science Smackdown!
Oh, linky blogosphere, how I love thee!
I was just starting to browse through Atoms Arranged Meaningwise by Rachel McKinney – which I found via Scientiae’s blogroll – when her most recent post sent me shooting off to Threadbared. Rachel notes:
And I know we’re supposed to be good little serious philosophers and clothes aren’t supposed to be the sort of thing worth thinking too hard about, but that’s just the kind of fucked-up masculinist logic that got us into this mess in the first place, right?
I suspect Isis would agree!
Then the pitch for Threadbared:
Threadbared is a blog by two junior faculty ladies with teaching and research interests in the politics of fashion and beauty. They are pretty much spot-on about everything, particularly representations of race and class.
Intrigued, I jumped. Oh, it’s delicious. Hijab Health is tres delish. You’ve no doubt heard the news reports about how hijab-wearing women are going to fall over from vitamin D deficiency? Whatever else you think of the politics of the hijab, this argument isn’t particularly compelling. To wit:
And, as someone who lives in the Midwest, wears a knee-length puffy coat with a hood, scarf, sunglasses (for the glare from the snow), and sunscreen even on cloudy days, and is otherwise regularly deprived of sunlight during the winter (and especially since I’m in the office all day anyway), I’m not sure why this study and its reception should single out hijabis in the first place for being at particular risk, except to reiterate the tired argument that hijab is bad for women with the “objective” authority of parascientific expertise.
Mmmm…now this is my kinda fashion blog! Thank you, Rachel, for the intro!
Bunny Rock in Zuska’s Garden
Zuska is the kick-ass alter-ego of Suzanne E Franks. When not dispensing Zuska's wisdom, Suzanne can often be found gardening, reading, or having one of her thrice-weekly migraines.
- rentals on Beach Wheelchair
- Geoffrey on How to Feed 4 On a Food Stamp Budget
- อาการปวดหลัง on Juniorprof’s #painresearchmatters Campaign
- hay day hack ifunbox on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- win mobile games on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- airtemperaturespecialists.com on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- elm327 on PZ, You’ve Seriously Disappointed Me
- hntvzyjs.com on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- John on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- Richard Henderson on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System