Should You Comment On This Blog Post?
1. First, a question. What is a blog?
Generally speaking (although there are exceptions), blogs tend to have a few things in common:
- A main content area with articles listed chronologically, newest on top. Often, the articles are organized into categories.
- An archive of older articles.
- A way for people to leave comments about the articles.
- A list of links to other related sites, sometimes called a “blogroll”.
- One or more “feeds” like RSS, Atom or RDF files.
…Want an interactive website? Wouldn’t it be nice if the readers of a website could leave comments, tips or impressions about the site or a specific article? With blogs, they can! Posting comments is one of the most exciting features of blogs.
2. Second, a quote. As seen on this blog post. Context: quoted comment came just after a detailed, friendly comment explaining how increase to ease and frequency of commenting.
Thursday, 28 Jan uary 2010 – 22:49 UTC
Richard Grant said:
The logic seems to be
more comments = good
Not sure that’s true.
3. Third, an observation.
WTF are you blogging/commenting for, then??? Why not just stay home and jot down notes in one’s own leather-bound journal with a quill pen? Shouldn’t you be feeling rather sheepish about being the trigger of that 50k huzzah-fest?
Hypothesis: If you, like Richard Grant, agree that the “logic” of “more comments = good” is “not true” you MUST restrain yourself from commenting on this post.
You may, however, feel absolutely free to sit down in your comfy chair with a cup of tea and jot down any number of witty ripostes in your leather-bound journal. Those taking particular umbrage with the contents of this post may wish to fire off a letter by snail mail.
p.s. I did not link directly to RG’s comment. Cumbersome as it may be, it is actually possible to link to comments on that particular blog. However, those following the link are required to log in to the blog network to view the linked comment and this seems onerous. Just go to the blog post and scroll down to the date/timestamp to find the comment if you so desire.
Bunny Rock in Zuska’s Garden
Zuska is the kick-ass alter-ego of Suzanne E Franks. When not dispensing Zuska's wisdom, Suzanne can often be found gardening, reading, or having one of her thrice-weekly migraines.
- airtemperaturespecialists.com on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- elm327 on PZ, You’ve Seriously Disappointed Me
- hntvzyjs.com on Nifty Free Media Tools at Fairer Science
- John on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- Richard Henderson on How Not To Sell Me Your Fancy HVAC System
- book of ra free game on Some Reasons Not To Honk Your Horn At People In Parking Lots
- Get Black Labrador Golden Retriever Mix Facts on CBS’s Dreadful “The Big Bang Theory”
- Civant meladerm on Razib: Head Up His Ass On The Women, Intelligence, & Beauty Issue
- Flex Belt Coupon on Women and Their Sexy Hawt Bodies: Reprise
- composearticle.com on The Playing Field Will Never Be Equal: Gender Equity For Physicists